From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] detecting SATA HD
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 01:16:14
1 --- Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:01:09PM -0800, maxim
4 > wexler wrote
5 > > Hello everybody,
6 > >
7 > > As a followup to my "ghosting" post, the SATA
8 > drive is
9 > > now in place. BIOS detects it as third master. A
10 > boot
11 > > CD finds it and assigns /dev/sda to it.
12 > >
13 > > But gentoo can't find it.
14 >
15 > I had a similar problem when I got my current
16 > machine last summer.
17 > here's how to solve it...
18 >
19 > 1) boot from the Gentoo CD
20 >
21 > 2) execute "lsmod". This lists all the modules
22 > that the kernel has
23 > loaded. One of them is running the drive. If you
24 > get desparate, build
25 > each module into your kernel, one at a time, until
26 > you find what works.
27 >
28 > 3) execute "lspci -v". The listing *FOR THE
29 > DRIVE* (as well as the
30 > controller) may show what module it wants. Compile
31 > that into the
32 > kernel.
33
34 That's what I thought. lspci reveals a Sil3114 SATA
35 controller and, in fact, the Sil3114 chip is right
36 there on the motherboard prominently displayed. But
37 choosing the Sil option in the SCSI device page has no
38 effect. It wasn't until I compiled in the nVidia
39 option that the HD was finally detected.
42 > --
43 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux
44 > /sbin/init is Job #1
45 > My musings on technology and security at
46 > http://tech_sec.blog.ca
47 > --
48 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
56 Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
57 http://farechase.yahoo.com
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list