From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 01:55:43
1 On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 20:36 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
6 > >> grub 2.00 has been released!
7 > >>
8 > >> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
9 > >>
10 > >>
13 > > I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. I guess it will hit the tree
14 > > pretty soon then. Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
15 > > of upgrading or staying with the old. I'm thinking about using the new
16 > > one pretty soon. Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
17 > > init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. :/
18 > >
19 > > 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. 1/2 way down and all is good
20 > > so far. 3/4 way down and all is good so far. I'm worried about that
21 > > sudden stop now. O_O
22 > >
23 > > Dale
24 >
25 > *shuffles his feet*
26 >
27 > I've started using genkernel. Once I discovered I can specify my own
28 > kernel configuration, it got a lot less ugly to me. The initramfs
29 > thing hasn't gotten in my way...yet. And it helped me recover an
30 > install process once so far, so I can't complain _to_ much. My only
31 > complaint thus far is its terrible error reporting. And since I'm
32 > using an initramfs, I went ahead and dropped my / on top of a raid5
33 > volume.
34 >
35 > But even before I started using genkernel...grub2 sounded like a good
36 > thing. One of the previous threads in here described how you assemble
37 > its configuration, and it made a *lot* of sense, from an architectural
38 > standpoint.
42 genkernel error reporting can be improved no end by editing the script
43 (/usr/share/genkernel/defaults/linuxrc) and sprinkling with echo,
44 good_msg and bad_msg statements ...
45
46 Unfortunately it cant log to a file (or at least I have not tried) so
47 sleep statements may help so you read the messages.
48
49 Copy the above script to a new name and run genkernel as "genkernel
50 --color --linuxrc=/usr/share/genkernel/defaults/linuxrc.uswsusp
51 --initramfs-overlay=/var/lib/genkernel/overlay --lvm --menuconfig all "
52
53 The overlay is a some extra stuff I wanted in the initramfs for suspend
54 to disk.
55
56 BillK
61 BillK