From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:54:48
1 On Feb 25, 2012 7:22 PM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday 25 Feb 2012 02:32:49 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > > On Feb 25, 2012 9:14 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > >> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is
6 there a
7 > > > >> safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked
8 for
9 > > > >> me. When does that ever work?
10 > > > >
11 > > > > You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to
12 text-only
13 > >
14 > > mode.
15 > >
16 > > > > There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it. Press ENTER
17 when
18 > >
19 > > you're
20 > >
21 > > > > finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
22 > > > >
23 > > > > That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
24 > >
25 > > doesn't
26 > >
27 > > > > work.
28 > > >
29 > > > I can't do that remotely though. I'm probably asking for something
30 > > > that doesn't exist.
31 > > >
32 > > > - Grant
33 > >
34 > > Situations like these that made me decide with great conviction to
35 always
36 > > deploy my servers virtualized, even if the box in question will only
37 host a
38 > > single VM.
39 > >
40 > > Now, if I lost my intelligence for a couple of seconds and somehow
41 ended up
42 > > with a VM that's no longer accessible remotely, I just connect to the
43 > > virtual console.
44 > >
45 > > The flip side? Now I'm getting too daring/careless, and the uptime now
46 > > drops below my (self-imposed) target of 99.99% :-P
47 >
48 > What do you do when you need to upgrade the host, rather than the guest?
51 Since I'm using XenServer, upgrading the host is a well-defined procedure:
52 Either I push the update using XenCenter, or I visit the servers. Usually,
53 I just push minor updates using XenCenter.
54
55 Rgds,