From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate instances of Firefox require separate profiles
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:49:14
1 On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 06:02:02PM +0100, Mick wrote
2
3 > Taking this a step further I create additional one-off profile
4 > directories in /tmp, which are deleted when I reboot (this is a
5 > laptop), which ensures that tracing between sites does not happen.
6
7 Here is more detail on my approach...
8
9 1) Generate a random 8-letter name for a directory with the command
10
11 head /dev/urandom | tr -d -c a-z | tail -c 8
12
13 Let's say you got "cjyqsiqd" (without the quotes).
14
15 2) mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd
16 (or whatever 8-character string you got)
17
18 3) Create directories for a template profile, plus the profiles you want
19 to use. I'll call them "profile1", "profile2", etc, but in real life,
20 you'll want more descriptive names.
21
22 mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/template
23 mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/profile1
24 mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/profile2
25 mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/profile3
26 ...
27 mkdir ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/profilen
28
29 4) Create the profiles starting with the template profile. Note that
30 there is a good reason for navigating into the profile dirs. It will
31 become obvious later. The command is...
32
33 firefox -new-instance -ProfileManager
34
35 Create Profile
36 Next
37 Enter new profile name: (more intuitive if it matches the directory name)
38 Choose Folder (Navigate into the corresponding folder before clicking Open)
39 Open
40 Exit
41
42 Rinse lather repeat for all the other profiles you'll want.
43
44 5) For the next step do not delete the template dir, but delete all the
45 other profile dirs you've just created. No, this is not a joke.
46
47 cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/
48 rm -rf profile1 profile2 profile3 ... profilen
49
50 6) Launch firefox with the template profile...
51
52 firefox -new-instance -P template
53
54 ...and tweak it to your heart's content, keeping in mind what options
55 your profiles will need. Install extensions, set font sizes, your
56 favourite behaviours, tweak the menu bars, set cookie options, etc. And
57 make sure to set the browser to open to a home page (more on that
58 later). When you're finished, exit Firefox.
59
60 7) Copy your template directory to replace the profile directories you
61 deleted in step 5. This is a lot easier than doing the same changes in
62 several directories. The names will be different depending on what did
63 in step 3.
64
65 cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/cjyqsiqd/
66 cp -r template profile1
67 cp -r template profile2
68 cp -r template profile3
69 ...
70 cp -r template profilen
71
72 8) Open the profiles and do the final customizations for each profile
73 separately. The command is
74
75 firefox -new-instance -P profilename
76
77 The customizing includes stuff like which cookie domain(s) to accept and
78 which page(s) to open on startup. And yes, you can get Firefox to open
79 multiple tabs on startup. When entering the homepage to open, separate
80 the pages with pipe signs " | ", e.g...
81
82 http://foo.com | http://bar.com | ftp://bad.example.com/data.txt
83
84 > Note, you will also need to remove any flash cookies (LSOs) which
85 > sit in your ~/ and are not deleted, unless you have installed the
86 > Better Privacy addon. For a more pedestrian approach:
87 >
88 > rm -Rf .macromedia/Flash_Player/*
89
90 There also seems to be ~/.adobe directory. What I do is to create
91 *FILES* (yes) like so...
92
93 touch ~/.adobe
94 touch ~/.macromedia
95
96 This blocks the creation of directories by that name. Some idiot sites
97 will refuse to play videos in that situation. I click on the Flash
98 button, and the video displays something like "Error #2046". I have a
99 workaround for that, namely a script ~/bin/killflash like so...
100
101 #!/bin/bash
102 rm -rf ~/.adobe
103 rm -rf ~/.macromedia
104 sleep 20
105 rm -rf ~/.adobe
106 touch ~/.adobe
107 rm -rf ~/.macromedia
108 touch ~/.macromedia
109
110 I launch killflash in an xterm, and then click on the video to play.
111 Note that the video only has to start within the 20-second window. The
112 way that linux works, you can delete a file, but any app that has it
113 open will continue to see it, even though no other apps can. As soon as
114 the last filehandle to the file is closed, its space is finally released.
117 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
118 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications