From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 03:55:16
1 On Tuesday 29 May 2007 09:01:39 Denis wrote:
2 > I'm curious to know your approach to keeping your Gentoo box current
3 > without it becoming a full-time job. I'm not talking about
4 > maintaining servers - just your "daily driver", so to say.
5
6 In server-land I would perform all upgrades on a test system before rolling to
7 production anyway.
8
9 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
10 > your versions in "world"?
11
12 I sync, update system and world, and then revdep-rebuild daily. I run ~amd64.
13 Unfortunately, this can get you into some sticky situations: my pdns still
14 doesn't like my new postgres.
15
16 If you are running stable, it's much less likely to result in bad situations,
17 and you should be able to put off upgrades much longer. A daily (or weekly)
18 sync is still a good idea IMHO; having an up-to-date tree is rarely a
19 disadvantage.
20
21 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
22 > system tool chain?
23
24 I live on the edge and treat them like any other package. Well, 'cept the
25 kernel, which I only actually compile and reboot into occasionally. If you
26 don't have time to wrestle with issues, but off the upgrade. Nothing sucks
27 worse than not having the time to fix X, but needing it to work/play and
28 having to broken.
31 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
32 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
33 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
34 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/