From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg.conf (HDMI vs DVI-D)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:20:42
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:31 on Friday 27 August 2010, James did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > We'll I've got a new samsung monitor 2333HD-1
7 > that is verified 1920x1080.
8 >
9 > Finally, I got it working on a dvi-d-2-dvi-d video cable
10 > with no problems...(minimal xorg.conf) and ati-drivers.
13 > OK, so I switch to a DVI-D<on video card> to HDMI
14 > on the monitor and it comes in, but the bottom and sides
15 > are missing.
16 >
17 > OK so I found this thread that I'm guessing is
18 > on the mark:
19 > http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23826
20 >
21 > But, I'm a little bit 'chicken' with xorg.conf, not
22 > to mention messing with the dot clock
25 I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I can answer the above.
26
27 You have nothing to fear from fiddling with clock settings on a flat panel.
28 That only ever applied to CRT displays where running the horizontal frequency
29 higher than the circuit was designed for would increase the HT voltage at the
30 final anode - which often cracked the thin glass on the tube neck.
31
32 Flat panels do not have a concept of scan coil to drive, there is no HT
33 transformer and there is no tube to have 28kV inside of. The owrst you can do
34 is to get no picture.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com