From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix is very slow
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:42:47
1 On Monday 06 December 2004 18:43, Kashani wrote:
2
3 > If you've never sent an email to your customers you're going to have a
4 > lot of bounces. It's just one of those things. From past experiences I'd
5 > consider myself lucky to get 80% working email addresses. This brings me
6 > to my main point, bounce handling. Bounce handling is going to be
7 > expensive in system resources initially, but your return is pretty quick.
8 >
9 > Proper bounce handling should update you db with a marking of not
10 > active, etc for addresses that bounce. Also if it bounces, it's dead.
11 > I've seen some people wait for 5 bounces before marking an address dead.
12 > That's just dumb. I'd go maybe as high as 2 bounces, this ain't 1996 and
13 > mail pretty much just works now.
14
15 If they are real bounces, yes. And in that case you should react on the first
16 bounce rather than on the second. There are other cases. Think of a messed-up
17 DNS server so the target mail server's name can't be resolved for a couple of
18 hours. Think of the case that *you* have ended up in a spam database for
19 whatever reason. Lots of other circumstances that can cause "bounces" that
20 actually are temporary errors.
21
22 Uwe
25 Alternative phrasing of the First Law of Thermodynamics:
26 If you eat it, and you don't burn it off, you'll sit on it.
27
28 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list