From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The NVIDIA/Kernel fiasco -- is it safe to sync yet?
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:01:07
1 On 27/08/2013 04:06, »Q« wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:02:32 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 26/08/2013 03:52, »Q« wrote:
6 >>>> I doubt your wiki page idea will work, it will be just accurate
7 >>>> enough
8 >>>>> to look like it might work and just inaccurate enough to be
9 >>>>> useless. Which brings you back to the previous paragraph - try
10 >>>>> emerge nvidia-drivers and if it fails then don't use that kernel.
11 >>> I was unclear to the point of being misleading. I'm sorry.
12 >>>
13 >>> The wiki idea is only for a page which tells which
14 >>> kernel/nvidia-drivers combinations the Gentoo nvidia-drivers
15 >>> maintainers support. And by "support", I mean they'll look into
16 >>> bugs and fix build problems if they're able to. This is exactly
17 >>> the info I'm grepping out of ewarn messages in their ebuilds now.
20 >> That list is the list of kernels that nVidia supports, which is easy
21 >> to find.
22 >
23 > Where? AIUI from reading various threads about this, sometimes that
24 > info can be found in nVidia's developer web forum, but I've never been
25 > able to find it there. nVidia's READMEs give a minimum kernel version,
26 > but no max.
29 So ask nVidia to clearly and unambiguously state in an easily found
30 place what kernels *they* support.
31
32 Look, all issues with building the driver shim are directly the
33 responsibility of nVidia themselves, a result of *their* business
34 decisions. The correct thing to do is to make it nVidia's problem and
35 not force the community to jump through hoops trying to track down what
36 does and does not work today.
37
38 Or, you could do the heavy lifting yourself. You test all current
39 drivers with all recent kernels and maintain a gentoo wiki page that
40 lists the info you want.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com