From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] my xorg-server 1.6 seems a bit unstable - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:14:04
1 On Sunday 11 October 2009 19:36:24 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:08:41 -0400, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> nvidia drivers load into the kernel. Driver-kernel interaction can
4 >
5 > cause
6 >
7 > >> a lot
8 > >> of problems.
9 > >
10 > > Alright, I am now running 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel, but I still have
11 > > the same issue.
12 > >
13 > > I think it's a scroll-bar that triggers it. If I drag a scrollbar
14 > > down with my mouse and then run it back up, there is a delayed
15 > > response (especially in Acrobat Reader), and when I do that in
16 > > Mathematica 5.2, that simply crashes X.
17 > >
18 > > Now I am kind of regretting that I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6... I
19 > > was very happy with 1.5 and before. Sigh. May this be a library
20 > > issue? Gtk? I received some kind of an error from Gtk, if I recall,
21 > > while using acroread, but acroread did not crash...
22 >
23 > Acroread has always been particularly unstable. I know nothing about the
24 > Linux version of Mathematica.
25 >
26 > You can always try revdep-rebuild.
27
28 He may also want to ask the question "Do I *really* need acroread?" and get
29 the full complete answer. In my experience very few people actually need all
30 the features in acroread, and okular|evince are quite adequate
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com