From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proxy questions
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:15:56
1 On Tuesday 24 Jan 2012 17:08:43 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I know, in general, what proxies do -- caching, filtering, and
3 > bypassing firewalls. I have even written a couple of very special
4 > purpose proxies. Now I need one for work, and don't realy want to
5 > write another custom special purpose when it seems there must be a
6 > canned one which can do the job.
7 >
8 > We have some vendors who transact business over special ports with
9 > custom protocols. We pay for these connections, and we only have two
10 > of them, good enough for QA, but when a developer needs to test code,
11 > they have to drag their machine over to QA and schedule time with one
12 > of these connections. What we need is a proxy which can take any
13 > number of connections on our side and funnel everything into one or
14 > two vendor connections. I don't know enough of the proxy jargon to
15 > know how to describe it. I imagine some kind of NAT. No filtering or
16 > caching; firewall penetration will be taken care of elsewhere.
17 >
18 > Any suggestions, or proxy education hints?
19
20 I'm not entirely clear of your use case scenarios and the constraints you are
21 trying to address with a proxy (e.g. why the developer does not connect
22 directly to the vendors port(s) to access their service? ) but I'll guess that
23 you probably need a reverse proxy/load balancer arrangement - something like
24 pound, portfusion, or even nginx? BTW, did I mention apache mod_proxy? I am
25 not sure what authentication arrangements you need to access your vendors
26 ports, if you have VPNs or other secure tunnels between your site and the
27 vendors', but let's say I'd read up on reverse proxies as a start.
28
29 This should make the transaction transparent for your devs, they won't
30 necessarily know which vendor they end up with after they hit your URL, but I
31 am not sure if it will satisfactorily address the issue of scheduling time for
32 a connection with your vendors at times of high demand. Once ports or vendor
33 service limitations are reached the connections will eventually become
34 saturated.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick