From: Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loop-AES versus DM-Crypt versus ???
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:22:02
1 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> at Monday 23 June 2008, 17:46:23
2 > Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > | Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Chris Walters:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 > |> 3. Number and type of ciphers available
8 > |
9 > | Maybe I'm wrong, but the name loop-aes tells this, right? With LUKS,
10 > | one can use (nearly?) any cipher/hash supported by the kernel.
11 >
12 > [snip]
13 >
14 > | Gentoo has support for both. Big plus of LUKS is the ability to assign
15 > | more than one key (so my wife can boot the laptop with her own key).
16 > |
17 > | HTH...
18 > |
19 > | Dirk
20 >
21 > Actually, there are extra ciphers available for use with loop-aes.
22
23 Does it matter? AES is on of the best algorithms available, there is no
24 reason to change to another.
25
26 > I might try LUKS. Does it have support for multi-key encryption?
27
28 Yes, it has.
29
30 > How about random key encryption?
31
32 That's not a matter of the encryption software itself, random keys should be
33 possible with any encryption thing out there.
34
35 Actually, multi-key encryption somehow requires random keys. In such a
36 setup, there is a random master key, which itself is ciphered with the
37 individual user keys. When adding or removing user keys, the software
38 stores a individually encrypted copy of the random master key (or removes
39 it).
42 Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
43 (Rosa Luxemburg)