From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New application: app-portage/kportagetray
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 04:44:15
1 On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas <
2 ronisbr@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello fellows,
5 >
6 > I already sent this e-mail to Dev ML but I decided to sent it also to user
7 > ML
8 > to get more feedbacks.
9 >
10 > I started to code a new application to make some daily tasks easier with
11 > portage. It is called KPortageTray.
12 >
13 > It is coded with PyKDE, so, unfortunately (or fortunately :D) you will need
14 > PyKDE and KDE to install it.
15 > I'm not sure if I make something that will need portage 2.2, if anyone can
16 > tell me I'll appreciate.
17 >
18 > By now, I just implemented some very common tasks like:
19 >
20 > - Sync portage tree;
21 > - Upgrade world set;
22 > - Check if there are upgrade available;
23 > * I'll make something to schedule it in future versions.
24 > - Upgrade portage version;
25 > - Run etc-update, revdep-rebuild or execute dep-clean at the system.
26 >
27 > I used a very simple approach: for every actions that the user must see the
28 > output, a script execute a konsole with kdesu. With this way, isn't
29 > necessary
30 > to run the application as root which, in my opinion, is better.
31 >
32 > This application can save some typing with daily tasks, but it will never
33 > substitute CLI, since some complicate things is very hard to handle. For
34 > example, if there are some Block, KPortageTray warning the user, show the
35 > output from emerge and let the user resolve it. But, since it is very
36 > uncommon
37 > to have a Block, this software can really save some time.
38 >
39 > I make some tests but it is at the beginning of development, so I'm asking
40 > for
41 > help do add new features / give ideas / report bugs. If the community like
42 > it,
43 > maybe I'll open a git repository somewhere.
44 >
45 > I took three screenshots:
46 >
47 > http://yfrog.com/7akportagetray01p
48 > http://yfrog.com/11kportagetray02p
49 > http://yfrog.com/b6kportagetray03p
50 >
51 > And I'm attaching tarball and ebuild (80KiB ~) and I would appreciate if
52 > someone test it and give me a feedback :)
55 This looks pretty awesome - I'm not in a position to test it right now, but
56 can this be thrown in an overlay so I can get to it in the future easily,
57 and get the updates easily?
58
59 Also, have you thought about (optional) support for/integration with eix? I
60 would love to have this just popup a notification that I can click which
61 will show me the (important) info - aka the database diff - from the latest
62 eix-syncs...
63
64 -James
68 > Regards,