From: Xamindar <junkxamindar@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hibernation and various programs.
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:24:44
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 12/6/06, Xamindar <junkxamindar@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I have hibernation set up on my laptop and am just wondering if there
4 >> are any programs that are unsafe to have running when hibernating. One
5 >> of the main ones im wondering about would be vmware. Can I hibernate
6 >> while I have windows xp running in vmware and still have it exactly how
7 >> I left it when I power back on? I will probably try it soon anyway but
8 >> just wondering if anyone else out there has more experience.
9 >
10 > I have done this, but end up rebooting the vmware session every time I
11 > try, because I move around to different networks and the networking
12 > between linux and XP gets confused. So generally I'd recommend
13 > suspending the virtual machine with vmware's suspend function first,
14 > and then hibernate.
15 You are right, it kills the vmware machine on hibernate. I just tried
16 it. Oh well, at least it doesn't freeze. I'll try that vmware suspend
17 function.
18 >
19 >> Also, I notice that my cpu governors and being able to change the clock
20 >> speed of the cpu no longer function once I resume from suspend.
21 >>
22 >> One other thing is that any programs that use the sound device are
23 >> killed when I hibernate (because hibernate is set to restart alsasound
24 >> or else sound doesn't work any more)....any way to stop that from
25 >> happening?
26 >
27 > Are you using the alsa drivers from the kernel, or the alsa-drivers
28 > package? And which sound driver?
29 Alsa drivers from the kernel.
30 snd_hda_intel
31 snd_hda_codec
34 > I guess the 2 points of advice I can offer here are:
35 >
36 > 1. If you are doing suspend-to-ram, do *not* unload any hardware
37 > drivers. A lot of hardware expects the OS to preserve state through
38 > STR, and that is really only possible if the drivers remain in memory.
39 I don't, suspend to ram works great.
40 >
41 > 2. If you are doing suspend-to-disk, it should be possible to
42 > unload/reload virtually any modules, such as acpi. This is because
43 > the BIOS is executed and is responsible for setting the initial
44 > hardware states.
45 >
46 > -Richard
47 With hibernate I am still working on the acpi stuff. I tried having it
48 unload the cpu governor modules but it says they are in use when I try
49 to hibernate. Cpu sticking on maximum after a resume from hibernation
50 is really annoying.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list