From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:44:25
1 On Sat, Sep 15 2012, Kerin Millar wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I was not surprised to see that the latest manual has root+usr combined,
6 >> but was surprised that they specify an additional small /boot partition.
7 >> I had thought that went out of favor a few years ago. Is it back
8 >> because of the root+usr merge? Do people here recommend a separate
9 >> /boot?
10 >
11 > It's just the way the Gentoo docs have always been. As with most
12 > things related to Unix, retrospective justifications are
13 > commonplace. I think it made a good deal more sense 10 years ago than
14 > it does today. Back then, ext2 was a safer option for boot loaders and
15 > live-distros alike. Nowadays, it generally doesn't matter and can be a
16 > source of confusion (I always thought that the self-referencing boot
17 > symlink was silly). There are some situations where it could afford
18 > more flexibility. However, I no longer specify a separate /boot unless
19 > there is a clear case for doing so.
20
21 Thanks. I will do the same
24 >> I know that it is important to have ssd partitions well aligned. It
25 >> appears that fdisk is doing this automatically (see below). Does the
26 >> following partitioning seem OK?
27 >>
28 > These are all perfectly aligned except for the first partition, not
29 > that it matters. Incidentally, no special parameters are required for
30 > tools such as pvcreate, mkfs.ext4, mkfs.xfs and such. They will
31 > generally do the right thing based on the information exposed by
32 > sysfs.
33
34 I was actually thinking about just that as I will be using mkfs.ext4 and
35 many of the lvm tools, so thanks in advance.
36
37 allan