From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocks with xz-utils lzma-utils
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 02:16:31
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:35:20 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I may just go back to a more stable setup.
6 >>>>
7 >>>>
8 >>> Like the standard KDE 4 in portage?
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> Which doesn't do what I need for it to be usable?
14 > Like? I only switched to 4 recently, but I'm quite happy with it in the
15 > main.
18 Already been discussed here and on the KDE list as well.
21 >>>> Oh well. I just wish they had supported KDE 3 longer cause KDE 4 is
22 >>>> just not ready for what I do. I get a screen full of crap about KDE
23 >>>> 3 being masked when updating too. Sort of bugs me.
24 >>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>> Add the kde-sunset overlay and all that will disappear. KDE3 still
27 >>> works on Gentoo, it's just not supported in portage any more.
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >> I already have kde-sunset and I still get those messages. I don't know
31 >> if it is because it is leaving portage or if it is even being removed
32 >> from kde-sunset. I just know I get them and it increases each time I
33 >> sync.
36 > You need to add stuff to package.unmask. AFAIR the overlay contains a
37 > file that you can copy/symlink there. The messages should go away in due
38 > course anyway, once KDE3 is actually removed from portage rather than
39 > being there but masked.
42 >> I know this, KDE has left a really bad taste in my mouth with how they
43 >> handled this release. They should have supported KDE 3 until KDE-4.5,
44 >> or at least KDE 4.4 was out and stable. Right now, I can't go a day in
45 >> KDE 4. I'm always running into something that doesn't "work" yet.
48 > I used to think that, but soon realised it does work, just slightly
49 > differently. There are still some really annoying "features" though. But
50 > if the Gentoo KDE team don't want to support it, that's there choice. If
51 > you don't like it, you can always ask for your money back ;-)
55 I do understand that it works differently. I got that part. As
56 mentioned above, I went through the issues on the KDE mailing list and
57 the things I need are not functional yet. They will be later on but
58 they are not right now. They do however work in KDE 3. That's why I am
59 having to keep it around.
60
61 Dale
62