From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't use gnome! [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:44:43
1 On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 20:04 +0100, b.n. wrote:
2 > Michael Sullivan ha scritto:
3 > > I rebooted into Linux a couple of days ago and tried to log into gnome,
4 > > and a whole bunch of error messages popped up. They all said basically
5 > > this:
6 > >
7 > > There was an error loading config from /apps/gnome-terminal/global.
8 > > (Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you
9 > > need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks
10 > > due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for
11 > > information. (Details - 1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-michael/lock/ior' not
12 > > opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR
13 > > file '/tmp/gconfd-michael/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
14 > > located: No such file or directory))
15 >
16 > I'm a KDE user, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I googled a
17 > bit, and you're not alone (even if your error is obscure). Unfortunately
18 > I failed to find a clear cut solution.
19 >
20 > However, you may try to start gnome with another user, or erase (move)
21 > your .gnome .gconf etc. and retry. It seems something in your
22 > configuration files is weird.
23 >
24 > m.
25
26 I fixed it. Somehow some permissions on some directories on /tmp got
27 changed. I changed them back, and it seems to be back to normal now...
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list