From: Timothy Millican <tim.millican@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A free VPN server
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 19:46:58
1 On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 05/27/2013 02:36 AM, Mick wrote:
4 > > On Monday 27 May 2013 02:43:08 walt wrote:
5 > >> This company:
6 > >>
7 > >> https://proxpn.com
8 > >>
9 > >> sponsors my all-time-favorite podcast, which I heartily commend to you:
10 > >>
11 > >> http://twit.tv/show/security-now
12 > >> (the audio podcast is what I suggest, as the video adds very little)
13 > >>
14 > >> Anyway, you can get a free account from proxpn.com by giving them a
15 > >> working email address (no credit card or any other personal info).
16 > >>
17 > >> Here is what I used to get it working on gentoo:
18 > >>
19 > >> net-misc/networkmanager
20 > >> net-misc/networkmanager-pptp
21 > >>
22 > >> and I had to add these to my kernel config:
23 > >>
24 > >> CONFIG_PPP
25 > >> CONFIG_PPP_MPPE
26 > >> CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC
27 > >>
28 > >> The name of the server to give networkmanager is pptp.proxpn.com
29 > >>
30 > >> I confess I have no idea how to do all of this without networkmanager,
31 > >> but I'd like to hear from you networking nerds out there who know more
32 > >> about this stuff than I do.
33 > >
34 > > Hi Walt,
35 > >
36 > > PPPTP uses a rather weak proprietary RC4 based encryption for tunnels in
37 > > old(er) MSWindows machines. At least make sure that it uses 128bit key
38 > > encryption, or better still drop this completely in favour of the OpenVPN
39 > > method which uses SSL certificates.
40 > >
41 > > PS. It would be better if these guys offered a more serious VPN
42 > > implementation, like IPSec VPN (with either IKEv1 or IKEv2). If they
43 > won't, I
44 > > would suggest you look for a provider that does.
47 > They do offer openvpn, but only the windows version has it. I've opened a
48 > support ticket asking them if/how I can use openvpn instead. I know it's
49 > possible but not how to do it. Yet :)
50 >
51 > Their windows vpn client is linked against openvpn and openssl, so I figure
52 > linux support will be clarified eventually.
53 >
54 > If everyone here would email them and offer to buy the pay version, but
55 > only
56 > after the linux openvpn support is made official... ;)
59 > > PPS. I see they are peddling privacy from governments' snooping efforts
60 > which
61 > > are fast being enshrined in law around the world, but can you really
62 > trust
63 > > them? What happens when the boys in black/blue knock on their door and
64 > ask to
65 > > have access to their servers? Heck, we all saw what happened with Kim
66 > Dotcom
67 > > in New Zealand, when the US media complex decided he was taking too big a
68 > > slice of their profits. Hosting servers in a foreign jurisdiction
69 > offers no
70 > > insurance, when money interests are more powerful than governments.
71 >
72 > I've always suspected that those boys in black/blue own every tor exit node
73 > out there, why not every vpn solution too?
77 > Did the same thing: this was the response:
78 ----
79 when you install proxpn there is a directory called config.. Generally you
80 can just copy that over the config directory in openvpn clients and then
81 hit connect..
82
83 Here are the openvpn server addresses.
84 Dallas: 107.6.100.3
85 NY: 173.231.141.114
86 NL: 213.179.208.141
87 UK: 78.157.207.131
88 LA: 64.27.29.67
89 Seattle: 216.18.231.179
90 Singapore: 223.27.170.51
91
92 When you are making your own custom config file, it should always have one
93 of those addresses, like
94
95 remote 107.6.100.3 443
96
97 we always use 443 as the default, but we have 80 and 8080 ports mirrored in
98 case there is some problem with 443
99
100 Best regards,
101 Team proXPN
102 ----
103
104 I can make a copy of the files available, if any one needs them.
107 Timothy A. Millican
108 +1 (603) 353-0110