From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: repair of a seg-faulting bin-utils
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 18:37:22
1 On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 12:24 PM Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2022-10-26, Corbin <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > Help!
6 > >
7 > > The last update I did built/installed bin-uitls. It is now producing
8 > > seg-faults. I forgot to make a quickpkg of the old bin-utils before
9 > > upgrading.
10 >
11 > The first thing I would do is run a RAM test overnight. IME,
12 > segfaulting binutils or gcc has usually been a hardware problem.
13
14 Bad disk is obviously another possible issue (saw that on a pi
15 sdcard), but I'd definitely be testing that RAM. Really if you suspect
16 bad RAM it is worth your trouble to just shut down ASAP and test that,
17 because every minute with bad RAM is potentially corrupted files on
18 your hard drive, and rework even if you have a good backup.
19
20 Another possible issue is bad -march settings. That usually is an
21 issue if you change your CPU and boot off of an existing hard drive.
22 If you're going to upgrade your CPU you should rebuild all of @system
23 (at least) with -march set to something very minimal. Don't assume
24 that a newer CPU does everything an existing one does - they sometimes
25 do drop instructions. You can set -mcpu to whatever you want, as a
26 bad -mcpu will only cause minor performance issues.
29 Rich