From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m I don't want modules here.
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:23:46
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22 Mar 2008, at 01:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:23:11 +0000, Stroller wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I suspect that this is caused because CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN depends
7 >>> upon some other kernel option, and because you have that compiled in
8 >>> as a module. Thus the dependencies of the "parent" are forced to be
9 >>> modular.
10 >>
11 >> I thought Dale said that he hadn't anything set to compile as a module.
12 >
13 > He doesn't seem to specifically state that.
14 > He does (subsequently?) say that he doesn't _want_ anything as a
15 > module (beware teh dark side!), but that's not the same thing.
16 >
17 > As I read Dale's original post, all he says is "I set
18 > CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN as `not set`" (and in his post of 21 March 2008
19 > 16:13:49 GMT he says "if I say `compile it in'") "and it keeps turning
20 > back into a module".
21 >
22 > Of course this would prolly be much easier if Dale just posted a copy
23 > of his .config. I have a feeling something "obvious" is being
24 > overlooked, and it wouldn't do any hard to post the output of `cd
25 > /usr/src/linux && ls -ld /usr/src/linux && md5sum .config && make &&
26 > make modules_install` so we can see stuff for ourselves. You'll notice
27 > that I look to check things like the /usr/src/linux symlink here and
28 > that the .config used is actually the same one as I suggest he posts.
29 >
30 > Stroller.
31
32 True, you may have to read between the lines but I do not have any
33 modules with the exception of nvidia. I have to have my picture on the
34 screen so I can surf the www. LOL
35
36 I attached a copy of my config for you to look at. I have not changed
37 the symlink yet because I have not actually booted the new kernel yet.
38 This is what I get after trying to make a kernel:
39
40 root@smoker /usr/src/linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 # make all && make
41 modules_install
42 CHK include/linux/version.h
43 CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
44 CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
45 CHK include/linux/compile.h
46 Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#3)
47
48 The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
49 Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
50 Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
51
52 make: *** [modules_install] Error 1
53 root@smoker /usr/src/linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #
56 I suspect that I can leave off the make modules_install since there
57 *should* not be any. It also says it makes the kernel itself. I'm just
58 curious if my nvidia drivers will load without the loadable modules
59 option there??
60
61 My wish list, the ability to compile in loadable module support into the
62 kernel and whatever else it has to have with it. Back to nothing being
63 a module except nvidia.
64
65 If I can't have it that way, I guess I'll have a extra module. Of
66 course, then something else will likely creep in the list too. ;-)
67
68 I hope the extra info helps. Thanks.
69
70 Dale