From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh-agent
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:24:28
1 On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:41, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
3 > >> OK, that's what I thought. But a troian running with the normal user
4 > >> permissions could get the keys by reading the temporary directory (not
5 > >> by connecting to the socket). Is this right?
6 > >
7 > > No. There's no files in the temporary directory besides the socket.
8 > >
9 > >> Or are the keys protected
10 > >> in some other way?
11 > >
12 > > They are only stored in locked memory; they are never on disk
13 > > unencrypted. Anyone that can read locked memory can access them, but this
14 > > is very few users/processes on Linux -- and besides those same users will
15 > > be able to read the key as you authenticate even if you don't use
16 > > ssh-agent, as long as they time things right.
17 >
18 > OK, this sounds better! I posted to the gnupg-users, asking a similar
19 > question about gpg-agent. I guess gpg-agent works the same way.
20
21 Please post back your findings!
22
23 What happens to the /tmp/ directory & socket file after the user logs out?
24 Does it get deleted by the ssh-agent shutdown script?
25
26 I am asking this because I seem to continuously accumulate a load of gpg-agent
27 directories and socket files into my /tmp. Unless of course gpg-agent works
28 on a different principle all together. My start up & shutdown scripts are
29 in /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox. Are they correct for this task?
31 eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
32 /usr/bin/startfluxbox
33 kill `echo ${GPG_AGENT_INFO} | cut -d ':' -f 2`
35
36 Or should I have another line to 'rm -Rf /tmp/gpg-*'
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick