From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash and cpu_flags_x86_sse2
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 21:43:49
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
5 > CPU specific USE flags have moved, there was a news item about it
6 > eselect news read
7
8 yea, ok.
9
10 so I ran the script and got:
11
12 # cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86
13 CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx fma3 fma4 mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1
14 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 xop"
15
16 But, looking at : /usr/portage/profiles/desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
17 I surmise:
18
19 CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 \
20 mmx mmxext xop 3dnowprefetch 3dnow 3dnowext aes avx avx2 fma3 fma4 \
21 padlock popcnt "
24 Some discussion would be keen, as I'd just assume if any ebuild called
25 a specific instruction set feature, then it should be listed globally
26 for that processor. In fact, I'll bet there are actually few packages
27 that need any of those (amd64)CPU flags turned off; so why not just
28 list all amd64 CPU flags by default and have the user use a -feature,
29 flag setting, per package?
30
31 After all, if a software dev goes to the trouble to
32 research how to make their software run (faster), via specific instruction
33 sets of a given processor, it's a pretty good bet that those ought to be
34 invoked. Ok of coarse I have no idea if GCC(++) is doing anything
35 "squirrely" in the compilers lately.... (related to CPU flag settings);
36 mostly because that is some voluminous research and reading.
37
38 What would be cool, is if the devs took the entire list of cpu flags
39 from proc/cpuinfo and piped it thru a simple validation script (equery
40 hasuse) to generate the maximum flags to set by default for a given cpu. I
41 see no reason this should be limited to either x86 or amd64. Arm64 is out
42 in the wild and it will not be too much longer before this list has
43 numerous questions about arm64 processor flags settings, for the myriad
44 of arm64 processors headed to the linux distros.
47 James
48
49 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/165425/focus=165441