From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 00:21:42
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
3 >> That's what I was expecting too. It is confusing for sure.
4 >>
5 > Years ago, I used tmpfs, and it was slightly faster, but on average only
6 > few seconds in an hou-long emerge.
7 >
8 > I don't use tmpfs any more, as 8G of RAM is barely enough to run KDe here.
12 I run KDE here and it uses less than 1Gbs all the time. Most of the
13 time it hovers around 1Gb with a lot of junk open. If your used 8Gbs,
14 you got a lot running or something. o_O
17 >> Speaking of tmpfs, I should have re-emerged OOo on tmpfs. It filled up
18 >> /var and died, just a few minutes before it would have finished. Oh
19 >> well, I'll make /var bigger next time. Maybe a couple more Gbs.
20 >>
21 > Well, if you were using LVM, this would take less than a minute:
22 >
23 > lvresize -L +2G /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
24 > resize2fs /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
28 Yea but I don't use LVM. I may one day but not today. I got enough
29 drive issues right now without adding another layer to it.
32 >> I put
33 >> that http-replicator on here when I decided to keep my old rig up to
34 >> date and it just eats up my /var. I guess I could move http* directory
35 >> tho. ^_^
36 >>
37 > Sure, either by changing some config file, or crating a symlink to the
38 > new location.
39 >
40 > I have a partition for portage stuff (trees, distfiles, packages,
41 > tmpdir), as I don't like my /var to become full just because I emerge
42 > something large.
43 >
44 > Wonko
48 I have a separate /boot, /usr/portage, /home and /var. I started to
49 make /var larger but didn't realize I was going to be using the
50 http-replicator thing. It would be nice to have LVM but that is water
51 under the bridge right now.
52
53 Dale
54