From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hubris?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 00:07:03
1 Paul Tobias <tobias.pal <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > I was wondering if *anyone* has actually seen this work. I'm referring to
6 > > booting a raid1 btrfs volume without performing a user-space device scan,
7 > > using only the kernel `rootflags=device` setting. I have been struggling
8 > > with this in various settings and am slowly starting to believe that
9 > > this scenario is simply broken.
10
11 > It works, but a patched kernel is needed. Take a look at
12 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7275724.html The patch there was still
13 working on the latest kernel a while ago. I used it on 2 of my systems, but
14 I moved on and now using dracut everywhere.
19 I not sure but the OpenSuse btrfs (non-raid1) standard install uses only
20 btrfs partition types, including /boot and all other partitions. I do not
21 think it uses dracut or others, but I'm not that use to opensuse to make
22 that call. I've installed other linux distros on top
23 of now so I no longer have thank opensuse-13.2. install to look at that
24 install. I do know know what if any kernel patches were used either.
25
26 Other linux installs such as the gentoo-derivative (calculate) linux might
27 be worth experimentation to see if they work as you expect.
30 Also, did you look at Rich's notes:
31
32 https://docs.google.com/document/
33 d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23Uxg/edit?pli=1
34
35 hth,
36 James