From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/motd and /etc/issue just error out....
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:39:52
1 On Thursday 08 July 2010 18:29:56 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I have created/edited /etc/motd and /etc/issue. At first they did nothing
3 > at all, but I found /etc/login.defs and followed the hint there.
4 > So now it has the line
5 > MOTD_FILE /etc/motd
6 > for instance. But instead of displaying the file on running login as root,
7 > I get
8 > configuration error - unknown item 'MOTD_FILE' (notify administrator), and
9 > something
10 > similar if I attempt to use /etc/issue.
11 >
12 > Looking at /bin/login with strings(1), I find a format string that would
13 > produce this output.
14 >
15 > Does anyone know how to correctly enable the message of the day and the
16 > greeting?
17
18 Is this a console login or via ssh?
19
20 Is sshd configured to use login, or to do all that itself?
21 /etc/issue doesn't show up on console logins, it is for ancient stuff like
22 telnet and rlogin, never for console login.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com