From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 06:59:02
1 090321 Mike Diehl wrote:
2 > Ok now, I'm getting fed up with all of the breakage
3 > that I've seen in Gentoo in the last few months.
4
5 I haven't experienced any such thing.
6
7 > I'm trying to upgrade MythTV.
8
9 I don't use that, so can't help directly.
10
11 > Emerge told me to upgrade my profile, which I did.
12
13 I have (for a 64-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor) :
14
15 make.profile -> ..//usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/2008.0
16
17 > Now I'm doing an emerge -u world.
18
19 I never do that: I always do 'emerge -Dup world',
20 then decide which packages to update & emerge them individually.
21 I also have a list of all the pkgs I have installed with dates + deps,
22 which I keep upto-date by hand as I emerge items.
23 I've never understood why 'emerge world' is considered standard:
24 repeatedly, there are appeals for help here resulting from its shortcomings
25 (was it copied from Free BSD when Gentoo was originally created ? ).
26
27 > But before I could do that, I had to upgrade portage, with made sense.
28 > When I go to emerge -u portage, I'm told:
29 > sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-7.1)
30
31 My hand-made list of pkgs tells me that I removed Mktemp 080419
32 & that it had been required for Debianutils,
33 of which my current version is 2.28.5 installed 090314 .
34 Others had problems with this block, perhaps 1 year ago,
35 so if you really are that far behind in updating,
36 you should search the list archive to see what the advice was back then:
37 IIRC a new version of Debianutils incorporated the Mktemp stuff,
38 so they became incompatible.
39
40 > So I do 'emerge -C mktemp' & got a whole page of error messages.
41 > The most basic msgs indicates the system can't load libselinux.so.1.
42
43 Do you have an item in 'make.conf' which requires that somewhere ?
44 Have you run Revdep-rebuild (pretend), to see what needs updating ?
45 'slocate' finds no similar file on my system.
46
47 > All I want to do is upgrade a machine that I built a few months ago.
48
49 "A few months" can be a long time in the Gentoo world (smile).
50 For a desktop machine, you should do a full update >= once/month :
51 I do it as a matter of routine every Saturday ('eix-sync' + follow-up).
52
53 As others have advised, Gentoo is not for people
54 who want to install & forget: for that, try Mandriva, a respectable distro.
55
56 Anyway, I've offered a few hints above: try them & ask again here.
60 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
61 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
62 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca