From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice on system monitoring
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:18:06
1 On 12/4/2011 10:29 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > I haven't yet needed to do this kind of system monitoring, so I'm very
3 > much a newbie here.
4 >
5 > Let's start with that dual-xeon box I was using to benchmark "emerge
6 > -e @world", figure I'm looking for how better to tune my MAKEOPTS and
7 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS variables, and assume I'd like to get more
8 > information about the following factors:
9 >
10 > * What was the 1m, 5m 15m load averages?
11 > * What were the similar averages for CPU spent in user time, system
12 > time and I/O wait?
13 > * What was network usage like? (I have a caching proxy server on the
14 > network, so even if distfiles are lost on-system, well, a cache hit
15 > transfers at up to around 50MB/s. It'd be better, except for read
16 > performance limitations on the router box, and write performance
17 > limitations on the local machine)
18 > * What was the temperature of each CPU core, RAM module and hard
19 > drive? (Not so relevant for improving system performance, but still of
20 > interest.)
21 >
22 > I'd like to have a web interface I could navigate to which would show
23 > graphs of these counters.
26 Collectd might be interesting to you. It can collect all of these and
27 write them out to rrd files. The frontend cgi script is a little lame,
28 but you can try some of the other frontends. The emerge flags are ...
29 extensive.
30
31 http://collectd.org/
32