From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:04:38
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 16:41, b.n. wrote:
2 > Dale ha scritto:
3 > > If you use XFS, make sure you have good power. XFS does not like
4 > > power failures at all. I have had to reinstall on a second rig
5 > > because of this very problem. If you have a UPS, that may be OK.
6 >
7 > Thanks a lot for the advice. Power outages do happen and I don't have
8 > an UPS. Why does it happen? Isn't XFS journaled?
9
10 Yes it is journaled but it also allows data to be very aggressively
11 cached. Make that VERY aggressively cached. With the result that data
12 can be held in a huge cache somewhere and the kernel can be convinced
13 it has been written to disk.
14
15 Consider XFS's pedigree - SGI wrote it for their graphics machines.
16 These were big monsters backed up with high grade UPSs and such - the
17 logic was that if you spend a brazillion bucks on hardware, a mega UPS
18 is part of the deal, along with the wages to pay the army of admins you
19 also need.
20
21 And, when doing video rendering, it turns out that it's easier to simply
22 re-render a frame when the filesystems does something odd with the data
23 rather than go to the effort of writing an FS that is 100% reliable. So
24 SGI sacrificed something that doesn't actually matter for their use
25 case to gain a significant performace increase (which does matter a
26 great deal)
27
28 alan
29 --