From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo as NAS
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:01:58
1 On 2021-02-05, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday, 5 February 2021 03:34:12 GMT Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am using plex-media-server from this overlay without systemd. It is
5 >> not required.
6
7 Indeed it's not. I added the overlay with 'eselect reository', did a
8 sync+upate, and it installed and worked with zero fuss.
9
10 > Wouldn't a binary distro, potentially purpose built as a NAS and/or HTPC
11 > offering, make more sense? I don't see what advantage the maintenance burden
12 > of a Gentoo system has to offer in this use case, other than repurposing with
13 > little effort an existing Gentoo installation. :-/
14
15 Perhaps, but my plex-meida-server isn't running on an HTPC. It runs on
16 my normal desktop machine with which I do software development and
17 other day-to-day stuff.
20 Grant