From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:26:26
1 On 11/25/2011 5:53 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
4
5 I'm not a fan of building servers outta parts. If this is a proper
6 server with a raid card, which is useful for high IO things like mail
7 and db servers, then your favorite RAID level, /boot / swap and the rest
8 in /var.
9
10 If they are separate drives then put the OS/portage on one, Postgres on
11 another, Postfix on one, and logging on the last for the best IO. I'd
12 call them /mnt/postgres /mnt/postfix and /mnt/logging so the sysadmin
13 that comes after you isn't completely confused as to what's going on.
14
15 If IO isn't a huge priority I'd put the OS/Portage on one and then
16 softraid the three drives into /data or some such and symlink Postgres,
17 logging, and Postfix as appropriate.
18
19 > (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
20
21 Yes, though you'll do it anyway. It's cool, I was spending time on the
22 same thing ten years ago. It's ultimately more annoying than useful and
23 you'll simplify later.
24
25 LVM is always good to know and very useful for snapshotting database
26 backups. I find it less useful for changing partitions or adding drives.
27
28 In regards to filling up partitions monitoring, cron, and logrotate are
29 your friends. I email at 70% and page at 80%.
30
31 kashani