From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need to install new packages during upgrade?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:35:14
1 On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:21:35 +0300, Gevisz wrote:
2
3 > I have just tried to upgrade my system (which I do almost every day) and
4 > found out that portage wants to install 6 new python packages that seem
5 > to be unnecessary because for example
6 > # equery depends dev-python/pyopenssl
7 > reports that no other package depends on this one.
8
9 ..*at the moment*. In this case pyopenssl is required for ssl-fetch,
10 which - at least here - is used by e.g. layman. One or more new packages
11 can also come in as part of an update, e.g. when that package gains new
12 capabilities. I suspect in your case that's mirrorselect.
13
14 Unless you start emerging random packages by yourself (thereby adding
15 them to @world) portage usually does the right thing.
16
17 -h