From: Justin Patrin <papercrane@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh-agent
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:32:52
1 On 11/21/06, Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Mick wrote:
3 > >>> They are only stored in locked memory; they are never on disk
4 > >>> unencrypted. Anyone that can read locked memory can access them, but this
5 > >>> is very few users/processes on Linux -- and besides those same users will
6 > >>> be able to read the key as you authenticate even if you don't use
7 > >>> ssh-agent, as long as they time things right.
8 > >>
9 > >> OK, this sounds better! I posted to the gnupg-users, asking a similar
10 > >> question about gpg-agent. I guess gpg-agent works the same way.
11 > >
12 > > Please post back your findings!
13 > >
14 > Well, no responses yet in the gnupg-users list, so there are no findings
15 > to post! (Let's wait at least a few hours :))
16 >
17 > > What happens to the /tmp/ directory & socket file after the user logs out?
18 > > Does it get deleted by the ssh-agent shutdown script?
19 > >
20 > I didn't start using ssh-agent yet, but I tested it from the command
21 > line and the directory was removed when I killed the ssh-agent process.
22 > > I am asking this because I seem to continuously accumulate a load of gpg-agent
23 > > directories and socket files into my /tmp. Unless of course gpg-agent works
24 > I suppose that has to do with the agent(s) working as daemons? I don't
25 > like that kind of setup. This is what I intend to (try to) do:
26 >
27 > - One fixed socket, in some dedicated directory (no /tmp, no random name
28 > for the socket)
29 > - The socket name as a fixed env variable, set in the shell config files
30 > - Hence, no need to eval, etc
31 > - No daemon (i.e. no backgrounding). Just a service supervised by
32 > daemontools. Logs go to a directory of my choosing and if the agent
33 > dies, it is ressurrected, and the socket (with the same name) is
34 > recreated (of course, keys must be added, then)
35 > - A perl script to interact with the service, just in case.
36 >
37 > I think this is not difficult to do, unless I grossly misunderstood
38 > something essential. (Comments, anyone?) I just don't see the need to
39 > run the agent as subordinate of an X session or whatever (please someone
40 > correct me if I'm wrong!) And if I don't want the service running when
41 > I'm not logged in, I could bring it down with the perl script (in
42 > ~/.bash_logout, maybe?)
43 > For gpg-agent, I'm not so sure, but I hope it can be done too.
44 >
45 > > on a different principle all together. My start up & shutdown scripts are
46 > > in /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox. Are they correct for this task?
47 > > ================================================
48 > > eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
49 > > /usr/bin/startfluxbox
50 > > kill `echo ${GPG_AGENT_INFO} | cut -d ':' -f 2`
51 > > ================================================
52 > >
53 > > Or should I have another line to 'rm -Rf /tmp/gpg-*'
57 ssh-agent /bin/sh
58
59 When you exit the shell, ssh-agent exits too (after cleaning up).
60 Running the agent as a daemon means you have to tell it when to shut
61 down as well (how would it know when to stop?).
64 Justin Patrin
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list