From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CMYK comparison to sRGB between platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:09:30
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On the same hardware I noticed that a CMYK photograph converted to
4 > sRGB looked mostly the same (indistinguishable) on Linux, but the
5 > sRGB colours were brighter on MSWindows.
6 >
7 > I tried this by dual booting between MSWindows and Linux.
8 >
9 > Then I tried it by running MSWindows within a VM on a Linux host and
10 > the MSWindows showed a clear difference in brightness between the two
11 > formats.
12 >
13 > Finally, I checked on an AppleMac and the difference between the CMYK
14 > and sRGB photographs was even more prominent than MSWindows.
15 >
16 > So, the Linux renedering seems to be misleading the user. Have you
17 > noticed the same?
18 >
19 > BTW, both Linux machines that I tried this on are running radeon
20 > drivers - are these to blame? The AppleMac is running Intel graphics
21 > with its 'retina' monitor. Is it a matter of somehow tuning the Xorg
22 > settings on my Linux PCs?
23
24 First I must say that even though I'm working as a photographer I'm not
25 an expert on Color Models. The professional exposure and print service
26 that I use only accepts RGB Color Models. They use laser projectors to
27 expose photographic papers. No conversion to CMYK is necessary.
28 If I order fine art prints, they are doing the conversion by them self.
29 All I have to do is softproofing my pictures in Lightroom using their
30 different ICC profiles, to make sure that I don't deliver pictures that
31 are out of the destination gamut.
32 So I don't have any practical experiences with CMYK pictures. I only
33 have some incomplete theoretical knowledge about it.
34
35 CMYK is a subtractive color model and RGB is an additive color model,
36 they are working completely different. It is not possible to convert
37 one in to the other by just simply adjust some gamma curves or using a
38 LUT as it is done by color management systems like lcms.
39
40 When you are watching a CMYK picture, your picture viewer has to convert
41 it to a RGB color space (sRGB or AdobeRGB or similar), because that is
42 what your monitor needs. And I think there are not much picture viewers
43 that are able to display a CMYK picture.
44
45 This conversion can not be done by the graphics driver, regardless what
46 kind of OS you use. Indeed Linux drivers can only use 8 bits per color
47 channel (that's really poor IMHO) and Windows can use 10 bits per channel
48 (depends on the graphics card), but this can't make big differences in
49 brightness or saturation. It only leads to smother color transitions in
50 some pictures.
51 So I don't think that the drivers have anything to do with your problem.
52
53 Apart from the different color models (CMYK vs RGB) there exist different
54 color spaces (eg. AdobeRGB and sRGB). When you convert one color space in
55 to an other, there are parameters like black point compensation and
56 different rendering intents (perceptual and relative or absolute
57 colorimetric), that can make a difference in the resulting picture.
58
59 You didn't told exactly what you have done. This makes it difficult to
60 find a reason for the problem. But I can think of different reasons for
61 the phenomenon you observed:
62
63 Different picture viewers and/or different color management systems and/or
64 different color spaces (including different rendering intents respectively
65 black point compensations). :-)
68 Regards
69 wabe