From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Secure Cloud Backup
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:53:14
1 I have a pile of files, and a personal svn repo totalling around 13GiB
2 which I want to back up to cheaply to 'the cloud'. I would also like
3 it to be non-trivial for someone with access to the cloud servers to
4 decrypt my data.
5
6 I have a 50GB free account for Box.net, but would consider others if
7 they have significant advantages. The box.net account is only allowed
8 upload files of max 100MiB at a time.
9
10 Now one problem facing me is that most cloud services don't give
11 assurances of bit parity, so I'd like to be able to recover most of
12 the files if I lost my local copies and there were bits missing from
13 the uploaded backup. This makes the one-big-encrypted-file approach a
14 no-go.
15
16 My current approach is to use split-tar, with the intention of
17 encrypting each file separately. (Is this worse / equivalent to having
18 one big file with ECB ? )
19 http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.php
20 ...but this seems to have difficulty sticking below the 100MiB
21 individual file limit (possibly there are too many large files in the
22 svn history).
23
24 Any thoughts? I'm sure that many of you face this problem.