From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world update problem again
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:05:38
1 On 30/11/2021 14:18, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 8:27 AM Arve Barsnes<arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 14:20, John Covici<covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Hi. So, on my latest attempt at a world update today, I am getting a
5 >>> crazy problem with libpng, with some packages insisting on the use
6 >>> flag -apng (portage made me put it in), but other packages insisting
7 >>> on the use flag apng.
8 >>>
9 >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
10 >> That is a direct conflict between chromium and firefox/thunderbird.
11 >> You can avoid it by removing the system-png flag from chromium.
12 > That issue will probably never hit stable, and I would make a note to
13 > revisit it in a few weeks. The next Council agenda includes resolving
14 > the conflict, though that isn't a guarantee it will happen. Once the
15 > change is settled you'll probably want to revert all your USE flag
16 > changes to the new defaults unless you have a strong personal
17 > preference.
18
19 I know we're encouraged to use a directory for package.use nowadays, and
20 this is a perfect example why.
21
22 Create a file called "chromium" or "firefox" (whicever makes most sense
23 to you), and put all the assorted flags you need to fix the issue in there.
24
25 So when you decide you want to revert all those changes, you can just
26 delete that file, and bingo ...
27
28 Or just make all those changes dependent on the current version of
29 chromium/firefox. So when you update you may have to re-visit the
30 problem, or it may just solve itself.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Wol