From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Vbox won't show up on left monitor at full screen
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 22:46:22
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:08 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Mick did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > I'm not sure I understand why this happens:
5 >
6 > Left monitor is 1280x1024 native resolution, right monitor is larger.
7 >
8 > The virtualbox control panel opens on the left monitor and stays there. If
9 > I launch a guest (Windows7) it pops up in the left monitor too. That's
10 > how it should be, but the vbox window now has scroll bars because the
11 > monitor is the same size like the guest desktop (1280x1024).
12 >
13 > The first time I selected Full Screen it maximised and covered the whole of
14 > the left monitor. That's also how I thought it should be.
15 >
16 > However, the moment I pressed right Ctrl+F to come out of Full Screen mode
17 > and then back into it, instead of re-expanding to cover the whole of the
18 > left monitor, it decided to pop up into the right monitor!
19 >
20 > I have not been able to convince it to stay in the left monitor when
21 > maximised ever since. No idea why it only behaved correctly once and now
22 > will not obey my clearly articulated intent, despite how much I have been
23 > swearing at it!
24 >
25 > Is there a fix?
26
27 virtualbox-4.0.8 and e17?
28
29 I have found that e17 can do interesting things with multi-monitor, probably
30 due to raster's fascination with making anything that can be configured,
31 configurable. Not everything is compatible with everything and it sounds like
32 your wm may be refusing to open the window full screen on top of something
33 else while unused screen space is available elsewhere.
34
35 Do you get the same effect with another DE?
36
37 When in full screen, what do you have set in
38 popup_menu -> View -> Virtual Screens
39 ?
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com