From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User & password scanning on pop3
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:03:26
1 On 6/16/2010 5:26 PM, Rod wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Does anyone know how to block, or auto programs in Gentoo to limit or
5 > stop people scanning for a user/password hacking on your firewall?
6 >
7 > Besides disabling those ports, I still need the port accessable from the
8 > outside, and I guess they'd just try imap if pop was blocked.
9 >
10 > I'm running iptables, postfix & courier
11
12 Have you considered changing over to pop3-ssl and imap-ssl? I fully
13 switched over about six years ago and nearly every job I've had since
14 has used SSL as well. I'd still recommend plain imap to be open on
15 localhost for webmail to interact with it, but you should have far less
16 problems. And less change of sniffers pulling user/pass from wireless
17 connections in cafes.
18
19 kashani