From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Embeding a Terminal in a GTK Window
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:05:52
1 Am Dienstag 09 März 2010 schrieb dhk:
2
3 > I'm not looking to make major changes to the existing terminal run
4 > program. You see, I'm dealing with the corporate mentality. They want
5 > to add features that are just not that feasible in a procedural
6 > language. I also have to deal with their thousands of users that use
7 > the program around the country and their distribution and install
8 > procedures. So changing the terminal the program runs in is not an
9 > option, that would mean getting security and sysadmins involved etc. So
10 > in short a lot will not fly. Management doesn't understand why a
11 > procedural application can't have a button or scrolling text, because
12 > they see those bells and whistles on websites they think they can have
13 > it everywhere. I really don't want to go off on a corporate management
14 > tangent.
15 >
16 > I would like to make some hybrid GUI/text application. The original
17 > text application runs in a terminal. I can edit the text program so I
18 > can change the main(). So far I've added GTK and can compile and link
19 > with GTK. When the text program starts I can open a GTK window which
20 > has a vbox in it. In one of the sections to the vbox I would like to
21 > know how I can embed the terminal that runs the text program. The other
22 > parts of the vbox will have a scroll window and buttons.
23
24 Sounds like a good candidate for ncurses.
25 --
26 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
27 *** Quits: TITANIC (Excess Flood)