From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 22:35:29
1 On 21/03/2014 23:57, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:29:48PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote
3 >
4 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Procmail
5 >>
6 >> "The mailing list etiquette requires people to CC all the people
7 >> involved in a particular thread in replies to the mailing list, in case
8 >> any of them is not subscribed."
9 >
10 > How does one send email to *THIS* list, without being subscribed in
11 > the first place? A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter. A web
12 > form bug submission goes to a list, which the submitter is probably not
13 > subscribed to. Developers do need to CC their replies to the original
14 > submitter to let them know what's happening. But I'm not aware of any
15 > such mechanism on this list. If someone is involved in a thread here,
16 > then they've obviously subscribed here. So the CC: is redundant.
17 >
18 > Speaking of procmail+formail, I use them to tame the lists that follow
19 > Chip Rosenthal's ideas. E.g., if this list did that, I would use...
20 >
21 > :0 fhw
22 > * ^X-BeenThere: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org
23 > * !^Reply-To: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org
24 > | formail -i "Reply-To: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org (Gentoo users)"
25 >
26 > I do this to the few lists I run into that I want/need, which blindly
27 > follow Chip's ideas.
31 Chip Rosenthal? yeah, he's the "Reply-To munging considered harmful" fellow
32
33 Trouble is, he argues from a theoretical position and ignores what
34 people actually do with lists. There's two main uses:
35
36 1. a distribution mechanism to reach all subscribers and/or where you
37 don;t have to be subscribed to post. For these you really don't want to
38 munge Reply-To
39
40 2. A discussion forum. For these you do munge Reply-To: to be the list
41 so all discussion happens on-list and is visible to all
42
43 gentoo-user has always been the latter and all discussion always takes
44 place on-list. If some doc somewhere says otherwise, change the doc to
45 reflect reality.
46
47 I utterly fail to see why so many folks on the internet can't see why
48 there's two kinds of lists... I think I'm going to compose an essay;
49
50 "Chip Rosenthal and his detractors all considered harmful"
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com