From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 15:04:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 08:19:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>> The SD standard says >33G should use exFAT, this is why many devices
5 >>>>> state they only support cards up to 32G. The really mean they only
6 >>>>> support FAT. My Dashcam is like this but it happily works with a
7 >>>>> 128G card, once I reformatted it with FAT.
8 >>>> Warning; that still does not change the fact that each individual
9 >>>> file cannot exceed 4G in size on regular FAT.
10 >>> That's right, but a device designed to work with only FAT should never
11 >>> try to save larger files. Any such devices I have used tend to split
12 >>> videos into chunks of 1GB or smaller.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> So if I bought a 64GB card, I forced it to be formatted with FAT on say
17 >> my Linux box here, it would work in my trail cameras anyway?  It makes
18 >> sense.  It would seem it is more of a file system issue since accessing
19 >> a device shouldn't be affected my its capacity, well, maybe some
20 >> exceptions.  My trail camera may only support FAT which is only found on
21 >> 32GB and smaller.  I can get that.
22 > It should work, but don't cry to me if it doesn't ;-)
23 >
24 >> To be honest, even tho I leave that thing out there sometimes for months
25 >> without checking it, and it takes a ton of pics, I don't recall it even
26 >> going over a couple GBs or so.  Even the one that takes videos doesn't
27 >> store a lot of data.  I don't think I'd buy that expensive a card but
28 >> still, interesting that it is a option.  I'm thinking even my Canon
29 >> camera can handle this.  That's a lot of pics tho.
30 > My dashcam really eats up the space. If I forget to turn it off at night,
31 > even a 128G card only holds abut 2 days of video.
36 The pics are usually black and white with IR lighting.  There is
37 occasional day pics but most of them are squirrels or something.  Deer
38 at times but not to much.  The pics are fairly small files.  The pics
39 are usually around 1MG with 1.5MB being about the largest.  There may be
40 a rare 2MB or so.  Days pics are color but night pics are black and white.
41
42 The videos are usually around 12 to 15MBs for night and 50MBs for day
43 videos which are color.  Videos are about 30 seconds long.  I wish I
44 could select a minute or more at times.  For what it does, the cameras
45 work fairly well.  They are two different brands but one takes good
46 video and one takes good pics.
47
48 I can see why they limited it to 32GBs.  If you do the math, even with
49 video, that's a lot of files.  Plus, they may have to pay to use some
50 other file system or something.  I don't know if anyone still owns those
51 things or not.  If I ever get a large card, I may try it just to see if
52 it works.  Honestly tho, that's a lot of pics/videos.  I could leave it
53 out there for a year and likely not fill up a 32GB card.  Still
54 interesting tho.
55
56 I got the cards a few minutes ago.  Everything is working like it
57 should.  The cards I pulled today have not been reformatted yet.  I did
58 reformat the pic trail camera card that I left in the woods tho.  I
59 can't see the display to well on the video one.  I usually bring it back
60 to the house and pull out a magnifying glass.  lol  I did my updates and
61 I suspect it was a bug and the update fixed it.  There was a plasma
62 update that was done last night which I guess included Device Notifier.
63 Still, reformatting the cards isn't a bad idea.  They haven't been
64 reformatted in at least a year, maybe even much longer than that.
65
66 Time will tell tho.
67
68 Dale