From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updating ALL packages
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 04:08:06
1 On 23/07/2014 15:24, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > My normal updating procedure is
3 >
4 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
5 > emerge --update --changed-use --keep-going @world
6 >
7 > I had mistakenly thought this would update all packages not at the
8 > latest version (subject to package.accept_keywords, package.mask, ...).
9 >
10 > I now realize that it only does this for the packages in world and then
11 > follows the dependency tree. So if package A in world is up to date, A
12 > depends of B, and a new version of B appears, B will not be updated.
13 >
14 > As a result eix-test-obsolete finds that I have packages installed that
15 > are no longer in the database.
16 >
17 > I could do
18 >
19 > emerge --update the-2-dozen-such-packages
20
21 emerge --depclean
25 > Is that wise?
26 >
27 > thanks,
28 > allan
29 >
30 > PS This system is in the midst of the multi-month bothwick "goingstable"
31 > procedure. I don't know if that is relevant to the decision.
32 >
33 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
34 >>
35 >> You can generate the list with
36 >>
37 >> qlist -ICv | sed -e 's/^/~/' -e 's/-r[1-9]$//' \
38 >> >/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/goingstable
39 >>
40 >> This allows revision updates, which is useful as they usually contain bug
41 >> or security fixes, but doesn't allow any higher versions.
42 >>
43 >> Occasionally running eix-test-obsolete will let you know which entries
44 >> have become redundant because stable has caught up with them.
45 >>
46 >> I recently used it to move a machine from testing to stable. The one
47 >> caveat is that sometimes the testing version your have installed, and in
48 >> package.accept_keywords, is removed from the tree so portage wants to
49 >> downgrade to the latest stable version. You have the choice of letting
50 >> this happen or unmasking a later testing version.
51 >
52 > [ subsequently he recommended using the latter choice ]
58 Alan McKinnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com