From: "Elaine C. Sharpe" <elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA - Still No Sound
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 13:17:15
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > --nextPart2016980.EoLg6xAmlW
3 > Content-Type: Text/Plain;
4 > charset="us-ascii"
5 > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
6 >
7 > On Sunday 06 March 2011 09:28:39 Dale wrote:
8 >> Mick wrote:
9 >> > On Saturday 26 February 2011 21:53:52 walt wrote:
10 >> >> There is a very recent post from someone (Walter?) that says he got
11 >> >> audio only after compiling all the kernel sound features as modules,
12 >> >> but he has no idea why (nor do I) but, as no one yet has a better idea,
13 >> >> I'd try it as an experiment.
14 >> >=20
15 >> > Because alsaconf needs to probe one module at a time and set its
16 >> > parameters.
17 >>=20
18 >> Just to confuse things more, I have the same driver for my sound and I
19 >> build everything into my kernel and always have. The sound worked as
20 >> soon as I unmuted it.
21 >>=20
22 >> root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep REALTEK
23 >> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=3Dy
24 >> root@fireball / #
25 >>=20
26 >> Weird huh?
27 >
28 > Like you, I used to build the lot into the kernel for years and it worked=20
29 > fine. Suddenly it stopped. With no other discernible changes at the time =
30 > to=20
31 > blame for this I raised a bug. The devs recommended that I should build al=
32 > sa=20
33 > as modules and that fixed the problem. I haven't yet tried to go back to=20
34 > building it all in the kernel to see if it would still work.
35 >=2D-=20
36 > Regards,
37 > Mick
40 Same thing happened here, I used to build support for my sound card into
41 the kernel but it stopped working a few months ago. Rebuilding the
42 kernel without the built-in sound drivers and using the modules instead
43 works now. ISTR that years ago it was the opposite, which is why I got
44 in the habit of building kernels with alsa drivers built-in.
45
46 The odd thing is I didn't see any news about it, nor was the internet
47 packed with people suddenly having alsa problems, so I never knew what
48 exactly happened.
51 caveat utilitor