From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:55:16
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 08 Aug 2012 05:21:31 Adam Carter wrote:
3 >>> To wipe a drive use dban. - live CD which uses (US) gov approved
4 >>> standards of wipe methods/patterns.
5 >> Or shred, which comes with coreutils.
6 >>
7 >>> dd is only going to show sectors on a failed drive - too late!
8 >>>
9 >>> To explain, modern drives have a store of locations they can use to
10 >>> transparently replace any failed locations (apparently similar to the
11 >>> way SSD's do it) - the internal drive electronics handle this and its
12 >>> not visible externally though smart data seems to show it, but as google
13 >>> says, smart is a bit suspect. The problem of a bad sector will only
14 >>> show once all the reserved locations are used up, by which time the
15 >>> drive is usually in rampant failure.
16 >>>
17 >>> I do suspect this is one reason for googles results - actual failures of
18 >>> the media (as against the motors/electronics are much as they always
19 >>> have been, but the drives are not reporting them until its too late.
20 >> Ahh - go to know. My reasoning assumed that smart reports all remaps.
21 > May be it does, but I understand that dd or shred won't overwrite them, or any
22 > bad blocks. You'll need the hdparm ATA secure erase (or enhanced secure
23 > erase) feature for that.
24 >
25 > BTW, Dale make sure that you plug the drive in a SATA controller for running
26 > the hdparm erase function. It has been reported that doing this using a USB
27 > port will brick the drive!
30 I don't use USB for drives, except the USB stick thingys.
31
32 I have a question sort of related to this. Anyone can share info. I
33 see boxes that hold drives in them and connect via ethernet or something
34 like that. Do those work really well? I thought about getting one
35 someday but I don't know what they do and how they do it EXACTLY. Is it
36 like a small puter in there or some other means of getting the data
37 across?
38
39 Right now, I like having my drives in my Cooler Master case. The fan
40 blows right on the drives so they stay nice and cool. But, I have given
41 thought to having the non OS drives in one of those little boxes, maybe
42 using RAID and mirroring the data on two drives.
43
44 Just what magic is in those things?
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!