From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] undoing emerge --sync
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:04:22
1 Mick:
2 > On Sunday 15 October 2006 13:00, Sergio Polini wrote:
3 > > May I undo an emerge --sync?
4 > > Thanks
5 > > Sergio
6 >
7 > No, but wait for a while for the mirrors to refresh themselves and
8 > resync later. Hopefully, what ever package/version you couldn't
9 > download would be updated for synch-ing by then.
10 >
11 > Of course, I'm only liberally interpreting your question to deduce
12 > what the problem might be, because you didn't tell us.
13
14 You are right ;-)
15 My problems are:
16 a) my goal is a reasonably updated working system, not one in the
17 latest fashion;
18 b) I had got to two RUWSs, an old Athlon xp (with riva TNT 2) and an
19 HP dv5000z (Turion, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M);
20 -- updating my Athlon system was a mess *before* the new
21 nvidia-legacy-drivers package, so it was worth updating the portage
22 tree, but after the last "emerge --sync" many packages are blocked
23 becasue they want a non-existent media-video/nvidia-glx (?) required
24 (?) by an already installed and working qt-3.3.6-r1;
25 -- my laptop was perfect before modular X, then I ran into inadeguate
26 support (by ATI and Xorg) of my video card.
27
28 I'm thinking about a "solution":
29 a) a "stable" root partition, including all directories used by
30 portage (/etc, /usr, /var, and..? eventually all but home);
31 b) a "testing" root partition;
32 c) updating the portage tree in the testing partion, always emerging
33 with the --buildpkg option;
34 d) updating the portage tree in the stable partition, and emerging the
35 tbz2files created on the testing partition. only when the testing
36 partition looks stable.
37
38 Any comments?
39 Thanks