From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: libpng12 is missing
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:55:06
1 On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:24 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I try to avoid emerge -e world because
3 >
4 > 1: It is time consuming.
5 > 2: It may still not work after all that time.
6 > 3: It is too much like the Gentoo equivalent of a reinstall and you
7 > are
8 > none the wiser as to why it fixed something.
11 I actually run emerge -e world on my machines about once a month +/-,
12 mostly to ensure the system can compile itself. So usually for me it's
13 more for finding problems than resolving them, but I guess I'm so used
14 to doing it that it's no big deal. I remember it used to take days, but
15 nowadays if I start it in the evening it's usually done in the morning,
16 or if I kick it off before leaving for work it's usually done before I
17 get home. I also make a habit of doing a full bare-metal restore of one
18 of my machines once a month to make sure my backups are good. So yeah,
19 I have a habit of doing "reinstalls" except I don't really think of them
20 as reinstalls because I (hopefully) get everything back :)
21
22 -a