From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (OK through speakers)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:01:56
1 On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
3 >
4 > Gentoo essentially all stable
5 > Gnome / Systemd
6 >
7 > When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
8 > plugged it.
9 >
10 > No sound at all with headphones (I tried three different ones).
11 >
12 > The sound settings gui recognizes that headphones are in. The sound
13 > test is silent. If I select the internal speakers in the gui (with the
14 > headphones still in) sound is fine.
15 >
16 > Is there some headphone option I must enable in the kernel or elsewhere?
17
18 The volume is probably muted for the headphones. Install pavucontrol,
19 and execute it while the movie is playing. In the "Output Devices" tab
20 look for your sound card (probably something like "Built-in Audio"),
21 and in port select "Headphones". Then adjust the volume.
22
23 Regards.
24 --
25 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés