From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help I have b0rked my system :(
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:48:59
1 Please help, I have managed to really screw up my second gentoo box,
2
3 ** How I did it **
4
5 Well, I tried emergeing gnome, liked the look of it but then it appeared
6 to crash, all icons on the desktop went & the bottom taskbar stopped
7 working.
8
9 Going into KDE all the K menus appeared messed up ie no kcontrol but
10 quite a few gnome icons and apps.
11
12 Not having emerge sync, emerge -e world for some time I did an emerge
13 sync, system runs 247 so its not a problem.
14
15 I had previously written a bash script to run through all the packages
16 on the system & re-emerge them skipping any packages that have problems
17 emergeing. Its still got approx 250 to go kde edu etc ...
18
19 Has worked great in the past.
20
21 ** Whats happened **
22
23 Well what hasnt :(
24
25 The kernel boots, all services start, X starts and the xorg logs look
26 OK, etc-update showed no updates needed, weird since I have now emerged
27 approx 230 packages
28
29 KDM starts and presents me with a default login screen but it has no
30 box, everything is 100% transparent to the background apart from the
31 witting and logos.
32
33 As I type to login I get no text but I can login to my default fluxbox.
34
35 When I do, gkrellm shows an outline but is 100% transparent, right
36 clicking for menus causes a menu title to come up but all options are
37 invisible + the screen numbers overlay one gets overwritten by two etc
38 etc and ends up as a confused mess.
39
40 ** Help **
41
42 I am at a loss here, I could tell you more about the graphical problems
43 but I do not know if this would be useful. The system is working but
44 graphicly b0rked, any suggestions please :)
45
46 Dave
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list