From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:57:49
1 On 15/1/22 18:33, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Rich F said recently, "I'd avoid using the .local TLD due to RFC 6762."
5 >
6 > That brings me back to a thorny problem: what should I call my local network?
7 > It used to be .prhnet, but then a program I tried a few years ago insisted on
8 > a two-component name, so I changed it to .prhnet.local.
9 >
10 > Now I've read that RFC - well, Appendix G to it - and I'm scratching my head.
11 > I suppose it's possible that someone may want to connect an Apple device to my
12 > network, so perhaps I should clear the way for that eventuality.
13 >
14 > So, what TLD should I use? Should I use .home, or just go back to .prhnet? It
15 > isn't going to be visible to the Big Bad World, so does it even matter?
16 >
17 Ive been using "localdomain" for years without any obvious problems.
18 .local is not just apple but can be used by other things too (e.g.,
19 homeassistant uses it for device discovery, creating an extensive
20 ecosystem in the process.  No apple devices in sight :)
21
22 BillK