From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:51:23
1 Hi,
2 Yesterday I got a new, but rather low-end, PCIe-2 SATA-3 6Gb/S
3 adapter card and a reportedly high performance 128GB SSD drive. (Links
4 below) Other than my swap getting messed up because it didn't use
5 labels (who knew about swaplabel but didn't tell me? ;-) ) the
6 adapter and drive are in the machine and working fine. Unfortunately
7 the performance isn't what I might have hoped for. Both hdparm &
8 bonnie++ are reporting numbers in the 200MB/S range rather then the
9 400-500MB/S range that I might have hoped for. The machine is PCIx-2
10 based according to its specs.
11
12 I'm currently just using a single large partition & ext3. I didn't
13 do anything special in fdisk so the partition might not be aligned as
14 best it could be. I don't know.
15
16 I'm wondering what sort of experience folks have had trying to get
17 performance numbers anywhere close to these specs?
18
19 Thanks,
20 Mark
21