From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:39:36
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 21, 2018 12:27:28 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Dale wrote:
5 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 >>> On December 20, 2018 11:45:29 AM UTC, Dale
7 >>> <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> Next upgrade idea:
14 >>> - mainboard with NVME slot
15 >>> - NVME drive for your OS.
16 >>>
17 >>> Your CPU and memory will be the next bottleneck :)
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>> --
21 >>> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
22 >>> brevity.
25 >> Yea.  I looked into rebuilding from scratch, less the case of
26 >> course.  I'm just not sure it would be worth the speed increase.
27 >> The biggest things I needed, more drive space and more memory.
28 >> The CPU was just on sale.  Hard to beat $75.00 for a 8 core CPU
29 >> running at over 4GHz.  Right now, it's plenty fast.  I may
30 >> consider it after I do some other things tho.  I plan to do a
31 >> emerge -e world before to long.  I wanted to let the new CPU
32 >> compound sort of get set in.
33 >>
34 >> I might add, the new video card is way overpowered for what I
35 >> do.  LOL  Most of the time, it maxes out at about 10% of its
36 >> power and less than 10% for memory usage.  I really can't tell
37 >> much difference from my old 220 to this new 650 series.  The
38 >> biggest difference, the 650 runs much cooler.  I just hope it
39 >> doesn't get bored and go to sleep.  ;-)  Oh, when I run glxgears
40 >> at full screen, it still only goes to about 60%.  It warms up a
41 >> little but not a whole lot.
42 >>
43 >> Now to go see what a NVME drive is.  I don't recall ever hearing
44 >> of those.  Sounds interesting.
45 >>
46 >> Dale
47 >>
48 >> :-)  :-)
51 > OMG.  Those things are fast.  Those things make a sata drive look
52 > like a snail or something and let's not mention the old IDE
53 > drives.  Thing is, I've got a 160GB drive for the OS itself right
54 > now.  Even a 256GB one of those isn't to bad price wise.  The OS
55 > is really all I'd need on that thing anyway.  The sata drives are
56 > plenty fast enough for watching videos etc.  I wonder, how much
57 > faster would emerges go on those things?  One wouldn't even need
58 > portage's work directory on tmpfs with that.
59 >
60 > Wow!!!
61 >
62 > Dale
63 >
64 > :-)  :-)
67 > Considering that they, like all SSDs have a limited write cycle, I
68 > only use mine for the compiled software. I still use a tmpfs for
69 > compiling.
70 >
71 > --
72 > Joost
73 >
74 > --
75 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
78 Yea, good idea.  Forgot about that.  Question.  I update usually once a
79 week here.  With my Mom keeping me busy, sometimes I don't get to do
80 that.  I mostly try to update a day or two after KDE sends a email that
81 there is a big release.  Given that, would the wear and tear on one of
82 these drives be really small?  In other words, one of these drives would
83 last a really long time, right?  If I get one of these, I'd put
84 portage's work directory on tmpfs, /home on another set of drives.  I
85 could even put /var somewhere else since logs change a lot, I guess.
86 Would that setup reduce wear to the point it would be negligible?
87 Anything else that would be best elsewhere?
88
89 I've read a little, mostly on this list, about them wearing out but I
90 haven't kept up with improvements.  I figure they may have improved them
91 somehow as well.
92
93 That is a neat setup tho.  I have a empty PCI slot that is a X8 I
94 think.  I use the X16 for my video card but the X8 could be used for a
95 second video card or maybe one of these drives.  Either way, those slots
96 are supposed to be very fast with data.  Looking at the pics of them, it
97 seems some need the larger slots, like X8 or X16.  I noticed some would
98 fit on the smaller slots, maybe a X4 or something.  I'd think the X8
99 drives would be faster than a X4 tho.
100
101 This is a neat idea.  I'm finding it interesting.  It may not be right
102 away but I'm giving this some deep thought here.  The cost is not bad at
103 all.  My current spinning rust OS drive has a lot of hours on it.
104
105 Dale
106