From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 20:54:00
1 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) yesterday and
4 > indulged in a buying spree of 18 CD sets of my fave music (basically
5 > anything pop/rock/country pre-Beatles). I now have over 20 CDs that I
6 > want to rip to flac eventually. I dread the gruntwork in renaming
7 > tracks like track01.cdda.wav, etc. What Gentoo ebuilds are there for
8 > stuff that'll get ahold of track titles? Is it in the form of
9 > metadata on the CD?
10
11 There are for example mp3c, grip, ripperx and probably also some other
12 programs that can do this job.
13
14 There is no metadata for the songtitles on the CD but AFAIK every CD
15 has an unique ID. The CD ripper programs are searching online for this
16 ID in the so called cddb (CD DataBase) and if someone has insert the
17 songtitles of the according CD to this database before, the ripped
18 CD tracks are automatically renamed to the respective title.
19 If nobody has added your CDs to the database, you can do this by
20 yourself with the ripper software which can also transfer these
21 information to the cddb.
22
23 Sorry for my probably unintelligible sentences, but I'm not a native
24 speaker. :-)
27 Regards
28 wabe